The Ultimate Driving Machine
BMW (Bavarian Motor Works) began in 1916 as a Munich aircraft manufacturer. Engine production ceased in 1917, switching to motorcycles as mandated by the Versailles Armistice Treaty, post WW I. BMW auto parts legacy began in 1928 with production of the first BMW automobile.
Photo Credit: http://puzzles-games.eu/puzzle-bmw-dixi-da2-160.html
BMW’s logo represents white propeller blades against a blue sky, referencing Bavaria’s Coat of Arms and flag. Pre-WW II, BMW was best known for the Type 328 roadster, responsible for over 120 racing victories from 1936 to 1940, powered by BMW auto parts. These same BMW auto parts helped define BMW’s racing DNA, breaking the world motorcycle speed record of 134 mph on a BMW R37 in 1929.
BMW Auto Parts Emerge from War
By 1945, Russia and bombing raids consumed most of BMW’s manufacturing abilities. However, BMW auto returned in 1948 with the six-cylinder, BMW 501 and the world’s first light-alloy V8-powered BMW 502 in 1954. 1950 thru 1962 introduced the Isetta micro-car, BMW 507 Z8 and the BMW 1500 family sedan, all powered by authentic BMW auto parts. An attempted takeover by Daimler-Benz in 1959 was unsuccessful.
BMW pioneered turbo-charging, vehicle electronics technologies and introduced the 3, 5 and 7 Series sport sedans, with BMW auto parts. In 1972, a new headquarters was built in Munich, shaped like a four-cylinder engine; a second Dingolfing plant opened; assembly operations of BMW auto parts began at Rosslyn, South Africa, increasing the production of BMW auto parts. In 1973, BMW won two European Touring Car Championships. The BMW 2002 Turbo became the first European production turbocharged automobile in 1974, powered by BMW auto parts.
The R80G/S Enduro motorcycle took off in 1981, winning the Paris-Dakar Rally. In 1983, BMW won the F1 World Championship, marking the first win by a turbocharged engine. BMW Technik GmbH was established in 1985 as a think tank to envision how to leverage BMW auto parts. The BMWZ1 was born, the 750i resurrects the V12 engine and a new BMW Research and Innovation Center (FIZ) is opened in 1987 where 6,000 engineers planned the future of BMW auto parts.
BMW Auto Parts Flex Performance Muscles
BMW partnered with Rolls-Royce in 1990, and BMW auto parts supported its re-entrance into aircraft engine manufacturing. 1991 marked car and BMW auto parts recycling, and the unveiling of the BMW E1 electric concept car. BMW entered the U.S. in 1994 as it opened a plant to manufacture BMW auto parts in Spartanburg, South Carolina. BMW returned to the Paris-Dakar Rally in 1998, after a 12-year absence.
The Mini-Cooper was launched in 2001, followed by the Clean Energy hydrogen-powered car in 2002, using BMW auto parts. 2003 launched the Rolls-Royce Phantom and BMW auto parts manufacturing began in China in 2004, Egypt in 2005 and India in 2007. BMW celebrated the production of its one millionth vehicle in 2006.
2008 and 2009 saw BMW making history with the new electric MINI E showcased at the Los Angeles Auto show. Fuel saving and emission reducing technologies brought additional awards and recognition to BMW, and it earned a triple victory in the Engine of the Year Awards.